How to enable the secretly hidden ‘Dark Mode’ added in Facebook Messenger app
Last year, Facebook had announced a ‘Dark Mode’ for its Messenger app at the F8 annual developer conference. Back then, the social media giant said that the feature would be coming “very, very soon.” Facebook had even rolled out the feature to a small number of users for testing in the latter part of last year but not everyone.
Now, the much-awaited feature has been rolled on Android and iOS devices that can be enabled with a little trick. According to a Reddit thread, Facebook has added a “hidden” setting in the Messenger app that allows you to turn on or off the dark mode feature.
Here’s how you can activate Messenger’s secret, hidden dark-mode theme on your devices without waiting for Facebook to officially announce the feature.
- First, ensure the Messenger app on your device is updated to the latest version.
- Open the Facebook Messenger app on your iPhone or Android smartphone. Choose any chat interface that you want to have a conversation.
- In the chat interface, tap on the smiley face icon inside the message compose window.
- Go to the Emoji tab, find the Crescent moon emoji and send it in the chat thread.
- Once done, you will notice an animation with the Crescent moon emoji dropping like rain over your chat.
- When the animation is over, a popup will appear at the top of the screen stating “You’ve found dark mode!”.
- Tap it, and you will be taken to the Settings page. You can then either turn on or off the so-called dark mode. If the dark mode is turned on, Facebook will display a message informing users that this mode is active.
Note, if you have tried sending the crescent moon emoji and still don’t have the dark mode in Settings, then turn off the Messenger app completely and relaunch it before tapping on the moon emoji.
Further, if the device you are using is still not able to turn on the dark mode feature, it is likely that Facebook has not rolled out the feature to your account yet. In such a case, you will have to wait until the feature is officially made available globally.
The post Facebook secretly adds a new ‘Dark Mode’ theme to its Messenger app appeared first on TechWorm.
Gurupriyan is a Software Engineer and a technology enthusiast, he’s been working on the field for the last 6 years. Currently focusing on mobile app development and IoT.